Sunday, December 12, 2010

Fighting The Cancer Of Celebrity

Who hasn't fantasized at one time or another about being rich and famous, about meeting stars, or about hobnobbing with celebrities?

When I was a young man in my 20's, I worked for a nationally known singer/songwriter from Houston. I traveled with his band as a roadie for a couple of years and met a number of famous people. Now that I'm older, I've stopped watching TV, I don't keep up much with the latest music/entertainment trends, and really don't give two hoots about famous people. Truth is, most of the really famous people my age group would like to meet are either dead or dying. They just don't make them like they used to.

I'll admit I do read the National Enquirer. It's my entertainment while I eat my ice cream with Hershey's syrup. But honestly, I probably don't know about 80% of the "stars" in the Enquirer. I mean, who ARE these people? Hell, there are so many shows, and about a billion TV channels now, that it seems everyone is a "star".

Except me.

But I don't care. There are more important issues in the world. Take, for example, the issue of cancer.

It was reported online today that Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, attending a recent fundraiser for children's cancer research in St. Petersburg, Russia, took to the stage and sang, in English, "Blueberry Hill". You can watch that fascinating performance on You Tube.
But that's not the point of this rant. Also in attendance at the Russian charity event were many Hollywood celebrities including Goldie Hawn, Kevin Costner, Sharon Stone, and Mickey Rourke, to name a few.

Now let me clarify something: Those five celebrities are NOT part of what I'd consider "really famous people" as I mentioned above. They aren't included in the group of old-time "dead or dying" famous people. Although I think that Mickey Rourke is actually dead and being manipulated by remote control.

But they represent the class of celebrities these days who appear to be only interested in self promotion for self's sake. Furthermore, why would these self serving lettuce heads be jetting off to Russia, of all places, to attend a charity event? Do Russians know who Goldie, Kevin, Sharon and Mickey are? Puleeze.... The average Russian couldn't care less.

But there they are, hobnobbing with the likes of Putin who likewise hobnobs with some real winners himself, such as North Korea's Kim "I'm Ill", and Iran's Mahmoud "Imanutjob".

What I'd like to read someday is a story about how Goldie, Kevin, Sharon, and Mickey donated several million dollars to cancer research centers in their OWN cities. How they followed-up with the researchers to promote true independent cancer research in the United States. And how they spent quality time with cancer victims and survivors in their own communities.

And how they shunned the spotlight with world "leaders" who kiss the asses of other murderers.

Then someday maybe, just maybe, fans will think of them as "really famous people" who really made a difference.

In the meantime, I'll eat my ice cream and read the National Enquirer. That's all those celebrities' efforts are worth.


Rick B. Baker
December 12, 2010
Rochester, NY

© 2010 by R. Burnett Baker



4 comments:

naturgesetz said...

You make a good point. One problem is the modern idea that words and gestures matter. What reall matters is action. If words move us to action, all well and good; but when the celebs go to Russia to hob-nob with Putin, any thought that they are influencing meaningful action is wishful thinking.

Suz said...

How long have you had this blog ..and how long and how much have I missed!
There are no real stars now
only self serving celebrities..you are correct on that
My daughter gives me her old magazines..People..Us..
WHAT...why would I want those...I could care less about these lamebrains....I think I'm slipping into old age....help
I'm going to follow this blog too
you are a hoot Rick

R. Burnett Baker said...

Oops, you've found me out, Suz!! I started this blog before Efficient Agony, but just haven't taken the time to write much here. With work hours, I don't have the time to really do what I wanted to do on this blog, but I'm trying to get back in the swing.

Rick

Trulyfool said...

Rick,

Maybe it's age, but I'm finding 'current world' stuff untenable. Stuff now seems to me as 'the school experience' seemed the week I graduated high school -- transparently weak and disappointing.

Celebs seem to have devolved from Warhol's '15 minutes of fame' comment. At least his thin artistry brought on something new, if vaporous. Now 'new' is 'old'.

A friend reads the Enquirer for its accuracy . . . about dying celebs. That's the only truth here!

Trulyfool